Monday, January 25, 2016

My Year of Risk-Taking: Bring It On!

I am not a risk-taker by any means. I don't do roller coasters, get nervous going down escalators, am not of fan of sports in which balls get thrown close to my head, and have never rollerbladed in my life. The only area in which I take risks is in my writing. I love to go as dark and twisted as possible, because it is my characters, and not me, who are in danger, and in the last year of revising my novel with my super-sharp agent, I have learned more about writing than I ever thought possible. I have said yes to everything I fear: writing in a genre I have so much passion for but was scared to try, delving as deeply as possible into my mind, learning patience, letting go of controlling everything around me so I can achieve all that I've always wanted to.

As the clock struck midnight and it became 2016, I wondered why I can dive head-first into taking huge writing risks but not in my real life? The answer came to me quickly: I fear losing control. That drop in my stomach before the roller coaster careens down a huge decline never appealed to me. When I look at the bottom of the escalator, I imagine tripping on the moving stairs. I don't want to break my nose playing tennis so I don't. Smashing into a tree on rollerblades scares the life out of me. I admire everyone who tries new things without worrying how they'll get hurt. I watch my kids attack new things with gusto, and I realized I wanted to be like that, too.

While I'm not quite ready to play dodgeball or tackle the Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland, I am going to learn how to ski and might even try snowboarding. I am going to toboggan down a larger hill than the little lump I usually sled on. I'm tossing my to-do list once a week so I don't forget to live in the present because I've arranged my day into thirty-minute increments in the worry I will forget to get something done.

2016 is my year of risk, and all of those stomach-dropping and heart-pounding things I have avoided will hopefully show me that I cannot control every outcome and falling down is okay. I will simply pick myself up and try again.

Thanks for reading! To return to the FICTION WRITERS BLOG HOP on Julie Valerie’s Book Blog, click here: http://www.julievalerie.com/fiction-writers-blog-hop-jan-2016

24 comments:

  1. Great post. I look forward to hearing how it all goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you!!! This is your year, Sammy - XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was such a great post! I wish you the best of luck this year--you're going to do great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Please keep us posted on your many adventures this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. See Sammy run. Run, Sammy, run.
    I love this about you, that you're willing to take risks. Go for those moguls..er, snow that is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! If not now, when?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post. I'm going to pin the words "falling down is okay" to my noticeboard. Hope you enjoy your year of risk-taking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! I'll have to repeat it over and over again. :)

      Delete
  8. There's a good reason why we fear most of the physical risks you listed, but I do applaud the taking of emotional / professional risks.
    My two-pence-worth: learning to ski is much easier than learning to snowboard - way less falling over and bruising of the behind ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that. Okay, skiing this weekend and if I manage that, I'll pad my tush and snowboard!

      Delete
  9. Yipee! Sounds like a fun year of Sam Watching. Will you come back to your blog and tell us how it's going? Curious minds want to know . . .

    And Sam, you're gonna have a blast. There's a thrill to taking risks that can become quite addictive! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! Good idea, Jules. :) I'll start with skiing this weekend and give you an update. xoxo

      Delete
  10. I love this (and tried something similar a few years ago - it was awesome). Please keep us updated on your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allison! Knowing other people have tried it and loved it makes me want to do it even more.

      Delete
  11. Inspirational post, Samantha. If it helps, I learned to stand on my head when I was 40 & learned to ski at 50. I learned to program at nearly 60. I say: go for it and face down those fears! LCP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That helps A LOT! I might go stand on my head today. Now, in fact. Thank you!

      Delete
  12. I love this and agree you have to blog about your adventures! Also I really needed this reminder about unscheduled time: "I'm tossing my to-do list once a week so I don't forget to live in the present because I've arranged my day into thirty-minute increments ..." Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! Now I just have to do it. :)

      Delete