Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Writer Dates

Writing can be a very lonely profession. We live in our heads, talk to ourselves, and eavesdrop on conversations without being a part of them. So, when my friend, critique partner, and writer extraordinaire, Lydia Laceby, created a women's fiction meetup, I was in.

Once a month, Lydia, Heather Wardell, Laura Kat, Marissa Stapley (when she's not at the cottage) Romi Moondi (when she's not in Paris), and I meet for dinner and Bellinis, and it is really my favorite Tuesday. We laugh until people stare at us, trade plot point ideas, flesh out characters, gossip, of course, and leave so energized and inspired that we should really do this as a breakfast meeting so we can all go home and write.

I need those critiques and the light that comes from talking about my WIPs, and I need to hear that other writers feel the same excitement, self-doubt, angst, and passion that I do. It's also amazing how differently we all create, and we learn from each other.

I have been so lucky to meet incredible writers online, like my Beach Babes crew (Francine LaSala, Meredith Schorr, Eileen Goudge, Jen Tucker, and Julie Valerie)


...and the authors and bloggers I chat with all day long. But getting to see these women in person, every month, and talk their ears off about what I'm working on (since I can no longer bore my loved ones because they will go running in the other direction) is simply incredible.

The Bellinis are pretty damn good, too.

7 comments:

  1. BREAKFAST MEETINGS! We should SO do that! I always go home inspired to write but it's nearing midnight. But what about the belinis at a breakfast meeting? And would we ever leave to go write? We have a hard enough time leaving the restaurant, talking outside for another hour in the parking lot. Love our regular meetups and I'm so glad to have encouraged us all to crawl out of our writing caves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change Bellinis for mimosas, and we're good to go! I'm so glad you got the ball rolling, Lydia. I never want those nights to end even when we're all yawning in our food.

      Delete
  2. Your meetup group sounds fantastic - I would love to form my own in NYC! I'm glad you get so much support from your fellow authors and have so much fun while doing it. XOXO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I've missed a few I do so enjoy those catch-ups! :)

    Romi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our weekend at the beach was EPIC! I will never forget the sight Sam lying across the laps of the other ladies in the backseat of the car. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, as in we were laughing so hard we couldn't catch our breath..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a breakfast writing meeting - best meal of the day.
    So happy you have found a local 'tribe'.

    ReplyDelete