Sunday, March 9, 2014

Life as a Writer

Being a writer means that every situation, every conversation, every moment, really, can be turned into a plot line. This can be fun, but I'm sure it's annoying for the people I spend time with. I'm listening when my loved ones talk, but I'm also watching how they move, the precise words they choose and what they talk about.

Last night, I went dancing with my very best friend. We've been friends for twenty years, and we both love getting our groove on to old school hip hop. At 40, I can no longer bend and shake the way I used to, but I still love trying.

When we entered the club, the first thing I did was to observe. I sipped my vodka and 7 with a splash of cranberry and took in what everyone was wearing and how they moved around each other. It's fascinating to watch how people want others to see them and what they do when they think no one is looking.

I always have to pee so I also got to listen in on the bathroom conversations and wished I had a notebook to record the amazing conversations and storylines that came from the stalls. "He has, like, a private jet!" Oh, that was a good one.

I do enjoy the moment and had such a great time busting a move with my bestie. But I also love that I can imagine the people around me as characters and be inspired by every glance, smile and scowl.

Is this what everyone does when they leave their house or is it just writers who take such pleasure in people watching?

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like y'all had a good time. I'm a people watching person too. it can be so entertaining. I was always told (when growing up) it's not polite to listen in on other people's conversations. But, I figure if they are talking that loud, then why not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Janine! :) Thank you so much for commenting.

      Delete
  2. I definitely do it and sounds like you had fun, that's awesome : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Paula. Thanks for stopping by! It was so much fun, but I'm still aching a bit. :) I love knowing other people observe like I do.

      Delete
  3. I make my husband crazy, because I love to listen in on other people's dinner conversations when we eat out. It makes him nervous, as well - because he's always afraid they'll notice. BUT - on the way home, he always asks for scoop.

    ReplyDelete