Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Goodbye 2013

I can't believe it's not summer anymore. But as a major ice storm hit Toronto, I not only realized that it truly is winter, but I was also so grateful to my friends and family who have made 2013 such a wonderful year. It really has been the year of love, connections and community.

I watched my city come together as neighbors lost power and food. We attacked the sheets of ice covering sidewalks and cars, checked on each other to make sure everyone was okay and provided warmth and comfort to those who were forced out of their homes because they had no heat. That is the true holiday spirit.

2013 was such a busy and incredible year for me, and I have my readers to thank for a lot of the joy I have felt. Every email, review, comment and message about Finding Lucas means the world to me, and I appreciate them more than you know. I still giggle with giddiness that I am an author and get to spend my days (well, some of them) writing.

Not only do I love writing, but I have a huge passion for editing. Through my business, Perfect Pen Communications, I have worked with some amazing clients, and I'm honored they have trusted me to edit their manuscripts, academic papers, and reports (and so much more!) and can't wait to begin again in 2014. And a very exciting new venture for me has been to join with Francine LaSala, author and editor extraordinaire, and we now often team edit manuscripts for writers who would like more than two eyes on their work. Francine and I are close friends, and you never quite know how working with a friend will turn out. I am so happy that we are great at bouncing ideas off each other and playing to our strengths.

My friendships have always been important to me, and I never knew I'd become so connected with people all over the world. To find authors who get what I mean when I say sales rank, who also listen in on other people's conversations and hear voices in their heads has enabled me to stop bothering my friends and family who don't really want to hear about story arcs and character motivation. Meredith Schorr, whose books I loved long before I even knew her, is one of these authors. Both she and Francine share my love of life and fun, and together we founded BookBuzz, an author/reader/blogger party that launched in New York City in May, 2013. We wanted to create an event to celebrate our books and the books of other authors because the writing community has got to be the most supportive group I've ever come across. It was my first ever business trip and such a success that we've decided to hold BookBuzz events everywhere we can.


This November, I teamed up with author/blogger Lydia Laceby and blogger Kaley Stewart and we brought BookBuzz to Toronto. BookBuzz NYC had eight authors, BookBuzz TO had ten, and we hope the next event this May in NYC will have even more. I'm quite stunned by the amount of emails I've gotten from authors who would like to participate. Who knew that our little party would turn into such a huge hit?


People often ask me what my days are like. Well, I'm first and foremost a mom, but after the kids are off to school, I boot up my beloved laptop with the missing key and write, edit and connect with my online world. It's a world that sees me through the highs of amazing reviews, the lows of a slow sales week and always, always makes me laugh. Whether it's my Twitter conversations with Eileen Goudge, Julie Valerie, Jen Tucker and Sonja Yoerg, the emails between Tracie Banister, Anna Garner and me, the inspiring, hilarious and heartfelt posts of The Chick Lit Goddesses, the millions of email exchanges with bloggers turned friends, like Melissa Amster and Marlene Engel, and the wonderful conversations with so many other people I've met this year (too numerous to mention, but you know who you are--I hope), 2013 has been beautiful.

And to my incredible friends and family in my "real" world, thank you for keeping me grounded and teaching how to better live in the moment. I worry a lot, usually about the things over which I have no control, and one of my goals in 2014 is to worry less. I know I can do it as long as I'm surrounded by the love I am so lucky to have.

As 2013 comes to a close, I hope you all have a joyous, successful and special 2014, and I wish all of you a very Happy New Year.

22 comments:

  1. Lovely, Sam! Wishing you all the joys a new year can bring. Thank you for your support and friendship this past year xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martha! I have loved getting to know you and your books, and I'm excited for what 2014 will bring us both! xoxo!

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, Sam! Meeting you and the other lovely ladies of BookBuzz was definitely a highlight of my year. Wishing you and your family all the best for 2014!! xo HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you, Cat, and meeting you was a dream! Again in NYC? :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for your friendship and making my year (and my life) a lot better. I love you! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made my year! I am so lucky to have you in my life.

      Delete
  4. Great post and thanks for the shout-out. So thankful to be friends with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also so thankful! Here's to more in 2014!

      Delete
  5. Sam, my new friend! What a delight it is to have you in my life. Wishing you and yours every happiness in 2014. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new and fast friendship! One of my goals for 2014 will be to be awake for your first tweets. On second thought, no. :) xoxo!

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Sam! Hope we can meet again in 2014 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so hope so, Samantha! It was amazing to spend time with you! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year, Sam :) I'm SO glad we got to know each other this year. Here's to 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad and always use unicorns and rainbows when I get stressed. You are so lovely, and I can't wait to see you again! xoxo!

      Delete
  8. Oh, Sam. My sweet little zebra belly... How do I love thee? Let me count the ways!

    1, 2, skip a few, INFINITY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me laugh harder than anyone else I know. Zebra belly forever!

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year! I hope your 2014 surpasses even the fabulousness of your 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best thing about 2013 was deepening my friendship with you. I can't wait to see what 2014 has in store for us! I love you so much my adorable, sweet, amazing, wonderful Sam!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year, Sam! I know you'll have an amazing time and I look forward to working with you and Francine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Elke! Oh, Francine and I would love to work with you! That's fantastic! I loved "For the Love of Jazz" so much. I'm now hooked on romantic suspense!

      Delete