Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Celebration of Books!

Wow! I still can't believe what an amazing night BookBuzz Toronto was and that our second BookBuzz event was such a success! Meredith Schorr, Francine LaSala and I launched BookBuzz in May, 2013 to celebrate authors, books, readers, and bloggers, and we wanted it to be a party, a chance for people to connect through words. We are so proud that BookBuzz has gone global, and on November 7th, Lydia Laceby, Kaley Stewart and I brought the event to my hometown, Toronto.

Lydia, Kaley and I formed an instant friendship and quickly discovered where each of our strengths lay. Mine are clearly not in math because every time I tried to calculate expenses, they both kindly fixed my numerous errors. We spent the next few months finding a venue, the authors who would like to participate and set out to make this a fun and exciting event. BookBuzz Toronto exceeded our every expectation. With an eclectic list of authors--Francine LaSala, Meredith Schorr, Lydia Laceby, Cat Lavoie, Chantel Guertin, Samantha March, Heather Wardell, Romi Moondi, Kate Hilton and me, an incredible venue, The Crest, and the support of so many people, the night was full of love and joy.



We were so lucky to have very generous sponsors, and we couldn't have had the delicious food and our fabulous drink, The Pink Stiletto, without Kobo Writing Life, Wattpad, Now Magazine and The Crest. Kobo Writing Life even donated a Kobo e-reader!



When I looked around the room that night, I was filled with so much happiness to see so many people I love and to meet new people who I hope to see at every event. And I've been floored by the flood of emails from authors who would love to participate in our next BookBuzz. I can promise that a next event is already in the works!

One of the best parts of organizing an event like this is actually getting to meet the authors I have become close to online. Our brunch the next morning (okay, late morning), trip to the World's Biggest Bookstore (is there anything better than perusing books with other writers?) and the hilarious walk from the Eaton Centre to the island airport are moments I will never forget.

Being an author is the life I've always dreamed of, and when I sign my books, meet my readers and connect with authors whose talent I so admire, I know how lucky I am. Thanks to everyone who came to our party, and I hope you had as much fun as we did.



Stay tuned for the next BookBuzz by checking out our website! It will eventually be coming to a city near you!

And thank you to the journalists, authors and bloggers who wrote their own thoughts on BookBuzz Toronto:

Just a Lil' Lost








17 comments:

  1. Great post and I concur, it was an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best parts was spending time with you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was! Hopefully, you can join us one day soon!

      Delete
  3. Such an amazing event! Can't wait to do it again! Great post, Sam! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post Sam - I'm so excited to do it all over again :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an amazing time! Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to make it to one of these! (That pink cocktail looks fantastic!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious! I have no doubt, Jackie, that you'll be with us soon! NYC in May? :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! Sounds like it was an amazing event!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great time. Interested in putting together Book Buzz DC (I'd be glad to help with it)? Sarah Pekkanen lives out here, as do Beth Harbison, Jenny Gardiner and a few others. :) I'm sure if people came to Toronto from other places, they could come here too. Easy ride on the Acela. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely an idea! We really do plan on expanding it all over North America and having those authors involved (and you!) would be incredible.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic post, Sam! It was such a pleasure working with you and Kaley on this incredible event! I can't wait to be involved in another BookBuzz again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant post. So glad you are getting to do what you want and love and that you got to meet so many new friends. Also fab news re the interest from other authors, but then, why wouldn't they want to be part of it. You're all AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looked like you ladies had a blast!

    ReplyDelete