Sunday, May 19, 2013

It's The Chick Lit Author Blog Hop!



Welcome! From May 20-27, 2013, the Chick Lit Author Blog Hop will include some incredible writers who are posting What's on Page 25? from one of their chick lit novels. Be sure to scroll down to the end of this post for the list of authors participating in the hop and head back to Chick Lit Chit Chat to enter to win the unbelievable GRAND PRIZE. What can you win? One lucky blog hop winner* will receive a FREE Kindle Keyboard 3G, with Free 3G + Wi-Fi, and a 6″ E Ink Display. That lucky grand prize winner will also receive a “chick lit starter library” filled with great chick lit books written by the indie authors participating in the blog hop.

Can you ever really go back to the past?

After five long years of living with Derek, her former bad-boy-turned-metrosexual boyfriend, Jamie Ross finally reaches her breaking point. She's had enough of his sneering disdain for her second hand wardrobe, unusual family and low-paying job as the associate producer of Chicago's sleaziest daytime talk show. When her new boss plans a segment on reuniting lost loves, Jamie remembers Lucas, her first love and the boy she'd lost ten years earlier. Spurred on by her gang of quirky friends, Jamie goes on a hilarious, disastrous and life changing hunt to track Lucas down. But are some loves best left behind?


Here's what's on page 25 (ish) of my debut novel!

Sometimes I fantasize about what my life would be like without Derek. Packing my bags and just leaving a note on the $1000.00 coffee table. But even though I know Hanna would let me live with her, I need my own space, and I certainly can't afford to live alone because the associate producer's salary is nothing next to the paycheque that Derek gets from his Ken Dream job.

And if I lose Derek, what else do I have? My family, friends, job. No love. I might never be with anyone again. At thirty-two, it would be too hard to find someone else now, and I just can't trust that another man will fall in love with me because before Derek, it had never happened.

I know most women analyze every nuance and sentence spoken in relationships so when something just doesn't feel right, they tell all of their friends and break it down word by word. I love being the listener for these conversations, but I'm not so good at talking about the things that bother me. So, for me to talk to Derek about our problems, or try to, is a pretty huge deal. And obviously neither of us is happy.

This weight of discontent seems to fill the air around us. But every time I bring up our problems, he acts as if nothing's wrong. He won't even talk about it. Lately it seems like he's not thinking about me at all. I'd probably have to text him to break up with him.

Sighing audibly, I pad to the bathroom to wash up. My little bottle of no-name soap looks depressingly inconsequential next to Derek's wide array of cleansers. Hmmm, maybe I should try some of his apricot scrub. What does a scrub do? I try to tie my hair back, but the stupid ponytail holder keeps falling out. I twist my hair in a bun and open the bottle. Squeezing out a healthy amount (Wow, it's pink. Should it be pink?), I slather it all over my face. Ow, ow, ow! It's making my skin tight and itchy, and it hurts like a bitch. This cannot be good for me.

I read the back of the tube, which tells me I should leave this crap on my face for twenty minutes. After three, I'm impatient so I scrub it off and look in the mirror, and all I see is a blotchy mess of mottled pink skin. Gorgeous I am. And I finished the tube. Derek has so many products, I'm sure he won't even notice.

I shut the light, tiptoe into the bedroom, and change into my favorite over-sized red t-shirt from a consignment shop in Wicker Park. It's downy soft and comes to my knees. The sheets (Egyptian cotton, three hundred thread count, of course) are cool, and I slide under them, wiggling my fingers and toes. The room is pitch black, with only the moon illuminating the handmade bureau, giant black leather armchair and Tiffany lamps on each of our bedside tables. I throw my hands above my head and turn my face toward Derek. It's amazing how peaceful people look when they're sleeping. Derek's long, thick lashes are fluttering against his smooth skin, his strong jaw is relaxed, and a faint smattering of stubble gives him that sexy, mussed look I'd once loved so much.

I reach over to stroke his cheek, and Derek twitches in his sleep. Shockingly (because we just had sex the other day), his hand rests on my thigh and starts creeping upwards. I grimace slightly, wishing the next eight minutes (I've got it down to a science now) wouldn't be so predictable. Here it comes: left breast, right breast, quick stroke of my back, a spit of saliva around the clitoris, insert. Bang, bang, bang. Done.

Well, that was refreshing. Passion dies, friendship remains. Isn't that what they always say? And now I can't sleep because I'm annoyed. Annoyed that Derek didn't notice that I didn't come. Again. So while he's washing off, I go to the couch to finish what he started. (Win the grand prize! The 6th secret word in the 25-word sentence is: Author) Maybe I should call that hotel in Montreal and get the make and model of the shower head.


Speaking of buzzing over books and summer parties… If you happen to be in NYC on Thursday, May 30th, please come on down to Stone Creek Bar and Lounge on East 27th (between Lex and 3rd) from 7pm to 9pm for a mix-and-mingle event a few of us in this Hop are hosting. Check out Book Buzz 2013 for details and please RSVP to bookbuzz2013@gmail.com.

Now, here's the list of fabulous authors on the Chick Lit Author Blog Hop! Thanks so much for stopping by!





36 comments:

  1. Such a cute book, Finding Lucas. Glad to see you're hopping, Samantha! And good luck with Book Buzz. Super awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Savannah! And huge congrats on all of your fabulous books. Wish you could come to NYC!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! That means A LOT coming from you.

      Delete
  3. I'm smiling from ear to ear because I've read this book and I'm so happy that other readers are going to discover FINDING LUCAS by hopping on the Chick Lit Author Blog Hop during International Chick Lit Month.

    I'm so glad we're all skimming through to page 25 in the stories. It's so interesting to find out what's happening in everyone's books and it's such a teaser - you simply MUST buy the book to find out more!

    Samantha, thank you so much for participating in the second annual Chick LIt Author Blog Hop (first annual was started last year by Tracie Banister).

    Cheers!


    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Julie, for organizing this year's hop! It is so much fun to read everyone's page 25!

    I am beyond happy that you enjoyed Finding Lucas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is still on my short list to read! I have a lighter review schedule come summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I don't know how you read and review so many books, Emily!

      Delete
  6. Your book sounds great! I'm absolutely loving finding all these fellow Chick-Lit authors from the blog hop. My library queue is about to get 25 books longer...also, can you really go back to the past? I just saw the Great Gatsby, and I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so much fun, Colleen! "Elly in Bloom" looks so good. How was The Great Gatsby?

      Delete
  7. Love this hilarious book! And what a fantastic representation page 25 is! All you need to know about Derek and their relationship is right here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Libby! I LOVE all of your books. I am a huge Libby Mercer fan. Your books always make me feel good.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you're enjoying the hop!

      Delete
  9. Great page 25 post, Samantha! I love it and can't wait to read Finding Lucas--very funny!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dee! That means so much coming from you!

      Delete
  10. What a perfect example of your wonderful writing, Samantha! For anyone who hasn't read Finding Lucas, run to Amazon right now and download it - you will not be sorry! Love this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracie! You are such a great friend, a huge support and an incredible author.

      Delete
  11. Reading this post reminded me how much I loved Finding Lucas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the best, Meredith. I am impatiently waiting for your next book because I love your writing so much.

      Delete
  12. Something makes me suspect that Derek might not be 'the one' ?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great excerpt on FINDING LUCAS! Who hasn't questioned leaving a relationship and finding the one who "got away?"

    Am taking Tracie Banister's advice and going to download it from Amazon right now!!! xx, Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Lauren! That really means a lot to me. I cannot wait to read your books because I've heard so many amazing things. Downloading, too!

      Delete
  14. Loved the excerpt. I hope she ditches that metro-sexual boyfriend pronto! Loved where you put the secret sentence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! Would you believe I thought a while about where to put that sentence? :)

      Delete
  15. Thanks for sharing!!! This has moved up on my wishlist!!!

    Tobi<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Tobi! Thank you!!!

      Delete
  16. Oh, Jamie. You need to dump Derek FAST! ;)
    I love Finding Lucas!! Such a great read. Eagerly awaiting your next novel, Samantha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eagerly awaiting yours, too, Cat! Thank you!

      Delete
  17. Loved this book! Love the next one too - heeheee. Everyone will be jealous cuz I already read the next one! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that everyone is jealous of me because I got to read your next one, Jackie!

      Delete
  18. Derek sounds like such a jerk, glad to know she gets rid of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Kim! Writing a creep like Derek was so much fun. :)

      Delete
  19. Congrats on the debut, it looks really good! Thanks for participating in the Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love books about old loves reuniting :) Really looking forward to finally Getting the chance to read Finding Lucas! Loved the excerpt!

    ReplyDelete