Friday, April 5, 2013

The Next Big Thing: I'm It!

When Janis Thomas, the author of one of my favorite books, Something New, tagged me in The Next Big Thing, I was very excited. I play tag with my kids so playing it with authors in a grown up, non-sweaty kind of way sounded like so much fun. Basically, authors tag each other to discuss their current Works in Progress (aka WIPS) or upcoming books. Be sure to read to the end of the post to check out the authors I'm tagging.

What is the working title of your book?

The title is Everything But. Usually, I find titles incredibly challenging, but this one seems to fit the story perfectly.

Where did the idea come from for the book?

I have always wanted to write a story about someone who never wanted children and changes her mind because I've seen a lot of couples go through the anguish that comes when two people who love each other want very different things.

What genre does your book fall under?

Everything But can be classified as women’s fiction. Finding Lucas, my first novel, is chick lit or romantic comedy, and though Everything But has some hilarious moments, it is more serious than Finding Lucas.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

This is such a great question. I'm still in final edits on Everything But, but as of now, I can picture Natalie Portman as Maddy, my main character, and since I can choose anyone, I'd cast Brad Pitt as her husband, Jack. And then I'd show up on the set to consult a lot!

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Well, I can get it down to two sentences.

Maddy Taylor never wanted kids until an incident with a Bugaboo stroller changes everything. But with a not so keen husband, will Maddy choose love or a baby? 
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I will most likely self-publish...unless the incredible happens and a publishing house discovers me. One can dream!

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

It's taken a few years to write a draft (I had a couple of kids in between) and about six months of re-writes. I'm getting close to finishing the final draft. I can see it on my computer, calling to me.


Who or What inspired you to write this book?

Until I was in my early thirties, I was adamant that I didn't want kids. But I suddenly realized that I did want them and discovered that it's not as easy it sounds. Pregnancy is not simple for everyone, and I wanted to create a relatable character who faces the challenges so many of us women have gone through. Also, I wanted to write a story in which one half of a couple doesn't want kids and the other does because this happens all of the time. How does Maddy make that choice?

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

I hope that the heartbreak and happiness Maddy experiences will resonate with my readers. The book is written with humor, sadness and honesty, and I think readers will connect to Maddy and her struggle to have both love and a child.


Thanks so much for stopping by and learning a bit about Everything But!

Now, for the incredible authors I'm tagging.

Incredibly prolific NYT bestselling author Eileen Goudge has long been one of my favorite writers. When Eileen and I connected on Twitter, I realized that not only is she one of the best women's fiction writers out there, but she is also funny, kind and so interesting. Read all about her upcoming mystery on her blog.

Francine LaSala is both an editor and extraordinary writer. I have now read both of her books, Rita Hayworth's Shoes and The Girl, The Gold Tooth and Everything. I can honestly say that I know no other writer like her. Quirky, unique and immensely talented, Francine is incomparable. And the more I get to know her, I'm convinced we were separated at birth.

Patricia Mann is the author of Is This All There Is?. I have just started reading it and am completely hooked. Raw, real and incredibly well-written, this book is going to keep me up nights.


So, check out these amazing authors and stay tuned for more exciting news...


 

12 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the new book, Samantha! It sounds like another winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book. Very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read Samantha's second book! I know it's going to be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Allie, I so appreciate your comments. They mean a lot to me.

      Delete
  6. Great topic. I'm lucky (I think) - neither my husband or I ever wanted kids. I keep telling him, he's essentially out of time to change his mind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow. Everything But sounds fantastic, Sam, and the title is absolutely perfect. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a great post. I can't wait to read it.
    Sam, I gave you the LIEBSTER BLOG AWARD, if you've five spare minutes read about it here http://silviacherrytree.blogspot.it/2013/04/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete