Monday, February 11, 2013

Celebrate Chick Lit!

Okay, I must breathe. Inhale. Exhale. Nope, it's not working. I am beyond excited and may not sleep tonight. I will lie there smiling maniacally in the dark because today, my hard work, tears, frustrations and fear all became worth it. Well, publishing Finding Lucas, seeing it in paperback for the first time and connecting with the most amazing group of authors, bloggers and readers makes it all worth it. But seeing my name in the same sentence as Marian Keyes's and being featured in a video with one of the funniest, smartest and prolific chick lit writers in the world was...awesome. If you'd like to check out the Wattpad video and hear how Marian Keyes, Romi Moondi, Caitlin O'Hanlon and I define chick lit, here it is:
http://www.wattpad.com/chicklit

I am honored to be able to voice my opinion of chick lit and hear those of authors I admire. Watching myself on video (I can't believe I actually giggled my name, but in my defense, I am not used to introducing myself as anything other than "Sam") is surreal and more than a little weird. But, truly, this is a day to remember and just one more reason why being a writer is the best and craziest job in the world.

10 comments:

  1. OMGosh! OMGosh! You must be freaking out! Congratulations! I just watched the video and grinned from ear to ear the entire time. What a great video and what a great opportunity for you to be featured like that. I know many, many more opportunities like this will come your way. Sooooo happy for you! So happy, I think I'll go eat me some zebra belly. Woooo-hoooo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie! Your support means so much to me. Grinned from ear to ear while contemplating that zebra?

      Delete
  2. What Julie said!!! So happy for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Major congrats. And what a great little video. I agree with Marian Keyes so much. Chick lit is really about the dark side of being female. It allows us to look at our mistakes and flaws and laugh at them. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Anne! She said it perfectly, didn't she? You're so right. It's all about laughing at our flaws and finding characters we can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fantastic! Did they give you some time to think about how you'd define chick lit? Or was it an answer-on-the-spot question? Anyway, I loved what everyone had to say! And you look adorbs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had about two minutes to practise before. :) So fun! Thanks, Jackie!

      Delete
  6. Congrats, this is lovely and I agree, being featured in anything with the wonderful Ms Keyes is very special indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pauline! Special is the perfect way to describe it.

      Delete