Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Technical Glitches and Tequila

I'm a very positive person, but when it comes to me and technology, if something can go wrong, it will. I'm not sure if I jinx myself because I'm so nervous when I click send or publish or just because I have not yet fully adapted to the new world. In any event, yesterday was a prime example of technology kicking my butt.

Any author will tell you that we spend a lot of time on Amazon checking our rankings. Those numbers under our books mean everything to us because they let us know how many books we've sold and how much exposure our books are getting. Money, for most of us, is not the end goal of writing novels, but knowing that people want to and do buy our books means that we have made the right decision to enter into an often gut wrenching and challenging profession. So, when I woke up and checked the Amazon page for Finding Lucas, I had to shake my head and rub my eyes. Shocked, I stared at the words "currently not available." The buy button for Finding Lucas had disappeared, and I was devastated.

I immediately contacted KDP support, and they got back to me quite quickly, letting me know that the issue would be resolved by February 4th. The 4th?! That was a week away. My stress levels, never low at the best of times, could not handle a week of my novel being "unavailable." What was I going to do? I moaned and groaned to friends and family (who were lovingly supportive), but I knew that the only people who would truly understand were the authors in my support group.

I sent out a frantic message and within seconds, I got words of encouragement, love and kindness. I instantly felt better, and for the next eight hours, they checked on my book, looked after me and sent me a great deal of virtual hugs and drinks. Every author needs a support group, and mine is the Chick Lit Goddesses, founded by the amazing Isabella Louise Anderson. I don't know what I would do without them, and I've never even met them in person. For someone who still struggles so with technology, this always astounds me.

In fact, one of them, the fantastic author Jackie Bouchard, created a drinking game that I am sure I will play often. Whenever the words "technical glitch" come up, I am going to reach for the nearest bottle of tequila. I might be drinking a lot! So, if you are an author and don't have a group of writers you can turn to, get one. It will make this whole crazy adventure a lot easier and more fun.

There are so many people I have to thank for being there for me yesterday, but I need to give a special shout out to Tracie Banister, Susan Buchanan, Sibel Hodge, Sharon Moore, Lizzie Lamb, Louise Wise, Laura Donohue, Jackie Bouchard, Libby Mercer, Sarka-Jonae Miller, Meredith Schorr, Cat Lavoie, Francine LaSala, Cindy Roesel and Eva King. They are not only wonderful support, but amazing authors, and you should check them out.

I am sure there will be more technical glitches in my future, but at least Finding Lucas is now available again (KDP support acted quickly!) and I have some great people to turn to when things get wonky. And if you'd like to check out what the Goddesses are up to, follow our hashtag #GoddessLit on Twitter!

12 comments:

  1. You're such a sweetie! (And a drunk--LOL!) Glad it all got resolved. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the tequila is put away until the next time. :)

      Delete
  2. Aw, Sam, I'm so glad that FINDING LUCAS is back up on Amazon. I was wringing my hands right along with you yesterday. And you are so right about the Goddesses! What an amazing, giving, supportive group of people! It's so lovely that we can all be there for each other in good times and in bad.

    {{{HUGS}}} to you. Let's hope that this is the end of your technical glitches for a while. Love ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the lovely shout-out, Sam! I was MIA yesterday so I only found out about the glitch later in the day. I'm so HAPPY that Finding Lucas is available again and that you didn't have to wait until the 4th! (That would have been crazy!) Being part of Chick Lit Goddesses has been one of the best things that has happened since my novel was published. You are so right: every writer needs a support group! Yay for CLG, Finding Lucas... and Tequila! :) Hope you're having a more relaxing day! *hugs!* x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, thank you for the shout-out. I know you'll be there for me if I ever have a technical glitch (DRINK!) as well - like I did this month with my pricing.

    I felt such a huge sense of relief right along with you when Finding Lucas was back up! And I couldn't agree more about the Goddesses. A great group of super supportive, super helpful ladies!

    Sending non-awkward virtual hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nightmare! Glad it's been resolved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathryn. It was a total nightmare. Until the next time...

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the shout-out! I'm glad everything is back to normal. Let's hope it stays that way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Sam! I wanted to let you know that I'm nominating you for a Liebster award. Be sure to check out my blog for all the information you'll need. (http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=7219648338309302600#allposts/postNum=0)

    ReplyDelete