Monday, December 31, 2012

What a Year It's Been!

As we close the doors on 2012 and open a new one for 2013, I can only shake my head in wonder at everything that's happened in the last year. Never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined how 2012 would unfold.

I have been writing for thirty years. I started with a ballpoint pen and spiral notebook, graduating to a typewriter, then a giant computer and irritatingly noisy printer to finally getting a laptop that comes with me wherever I go. I have always been horrible at math, can't tell north from south and never loved the idea of getting dressed in a business suit and attending meetings. What was I going to do with my life?

Well, I became a teacher and for 15 years, I loved the constant laughter in my classrooms and teaching my students where to put a preposition and what the hell the present perfect is. But, I knew that the next phase of my life needed to be different, scary and full of risk because life is way too short not to follow our dreams. So, in 2010, I quit a stable job working with people who are like family to me and started my own writing/editing business: Perfect Pen Communications. I created something that filled me with excitement and passion and now get to spend every day doing what I love. But, the one thing that eluded me was publishing my novel.

Finally, this year, I published Finding Lucas, and it has been the wildest ride of my life. Just formatting and uploading my novel to Amazon was incredible, but the fact that people want to and do read it still astounds me. I worked for months to put my debut novel in paperback, and when I held it in my hands for the first time, I cried like I'd given birth to another child. Having a dream become reality is an indescribable feeling that has made 2012 one of the most exciting years of my life.

I could never have done any of it without the love and support of my family and friends. They read everything I write and stand by me through the highs and lows of life as an author. But, as much as they want to understand what it takes to publish and promote a novel, it is impossible unless you're going through it yourself. The authors I have met this year have become friends, confidantes and are a huge support. I would be lost without them. Incredible writers, they inspire me to write every day. Reading their books makes me a better writer, and I thank all of them.

Finding Lucas would be nowhere without the bloggers, reviewers and readers who have helped promote my novel, recommended it, shared and tweeted it. They make not a single cent to help us writers and do it for the love of books.

2012 was a year unlike any other in my life. I learned that it is possible to make dreams come true and that being an author is more than simply putting words on a page. I have no idea what 2013 holds for me. A second novel to be published, for sure, but who I will meet, the things I will learn and the places I will go are all unknown. And for someone who doesn't like surprises or change, I'm pretty shocked that it doesn't scare me.

Bring it on, 2013!

Happy New Year! May all of you find what you're looking for!

13 comments:

  1. Lovely, Sam! Blessed to have connected with you this year. I know 2013 will be meaningful. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so lucky to have connected with you, Martha! Have the most wonderful and prosperous 2013!

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, Sam! I am so glad to have become one of your author friends this year. I look forward to many, many more amazing books from you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year, hope 2013 is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! So glad we "met" this year! Looking forward to reading your new book in 2013! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beyond grateful for you, Jackie. I can't wait to read yours, too! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I so appreciate the comment!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations and best of luck in your release! I wish you a very cool and rewarding 2013!

    P.S. Thanks for stopping by my BREAKING THE RULES post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Braine! Happy 2013! Loved the post and Breaking the Rules. I was actually going to email you...

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! I just nominated your blog for the Liebster Award!

    To learn more, go to: the "Chick Lit Chit Chat" blog at julievalerie.com for complete details.

    If you choose to claim your Liebster Award by posting your responses on your blog, please link back to my blog in your post and tweet or email me your link so I can read your answers.

    Have fun, and keep up the great blogging!

    Julie Valerie

    TWITTER: @JBValerie
    EMAIL: julievalerie1@gmail.com
    BLOG: Chick Lit Chit Chat at julievalerie.com

    ReplyDelete