Thursday, June 21, 2012

Ebook or Paperback?

I must admit that until a few months prior to publishing Finding Lucas on Kindle, I had never read or even seen an ebook. One of my favourite things in the world is to head to my local bookstore and wander through the stacks of chick lit, mystery, suspense and literary fiction. To find the book I want, I first look at the cover. Does it call to me and make me want to go forward? If yes, I read the synopsis. If I'm suitably intrigued, I'll read the first few lines. If the words draw me in, I'm sold. Price doesn't make or break my purchase, but I prefer paperbacks over hardcover because if I can save money, great, and if I can slip it into my purse, even better.

I love the smell of new books, I, gasp, adore dog-earing the pages instead of using a bookmark, and I can think of nothing better at the end of a long day than curling up on my couch with a book. So, when I decided to self-publish, I immediately started researching print options. Well, the cost of publishing and difficulty of getting the book in stores while running Perfect Pen Communications and taking care of my kids was not even a remote possibility. And since I desperately wanted to publish Finding Lucas, I looked into ebooks.

I wanted to see exactly the experience my readers would have with Finding Lucas, but Kindle is not yet available in Canada. With amazon.com, however, there was one, only one, that could be shipped to Canada. I bought it immediately and waiting anxiously for it to arrive on my doorstep. The day it came, I lovingly held it in my hands. It was so small and light! I rushed to my computer and downloaded my first book. And then I downloaded a few more.

There were so many things I'd need to decide before publishing Finding Lucas. Indents or no indents? How should I do the spacing? Would my cover look as good on the Kindle as it did on my computer? And how would I convert the thing? I breathed and took a step back. I needed to read a few ebooks to get used to not turning the pages and folding over the corners. I had to stop relentlessly tapping my poor Kindle to get to the next page.

I'll be honest. It has taken me awhile to get used to my Kindle, and I don't think it will replace my love of paperbacks or my wish to see my book laid out on a bookstore display table. But, I can't deny that it is much easier to carry around than lugging a book in my bag, it is sleek and fun to use, and I love how quickly I go from choosing a book to having it ready to read. I don't even have to leave the house!

I do hope that e-readers don't replace paperbacks, but I think they are a great addition to a reader and writer's toolbox. Anyone can buy and read Finding Lucas with a simple click, and I have the amazing opportunity of releasing my novel all over the world. So, I will continue publishing books on Kindle, and one day, I will also release the paperback version so my readers can have the best of both.

I love my Kindle, I love my paperbacks, and I think both can flourish in our fast-paced, digital lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment