Friday, May 11, 2012

The Wonderful Writing Community

Until very recently, I had always lurked in writing forums and on networking sites. Community posts and comments were immensely helpful, but I never participated. To me, it always felt like I was at a party where I didn't know anybody, and I preferred to hang back and watch. But ever since I published Finding Lucas, I have decided to stop being a wallflower and join in the fun. And I'm so glad I have.

I have found an incredible group of writers who want to support each other. Whether by liking each other's Facebook pages, following on Twitter or sharing links and ideas, these writers have made me feel welcomed. And for someone who writes and edits fulltime, it is nice to have colleagues again.

The writing that I have done for websites has also brought me some lovely friends who feel like they've been in my life forever. For months, all of our communication was by email, but when we finally met up in person one night, it was as if we all just got it. We're all writers and moms and balancing that can be a struggle.

Writing can be a lonely endeavour, and because so many of us live in our heads much of the time, being able to trade ideas, edit each other's work or guide each other to jobs in our niche market has been incredible.

Promoting Finding Lucas has taught me so much about social media and how to use it. I am still learning, but every day, I find out about a new blog or read an interesting article that I have found on a forum. So, if you're a writer who wants to promote your work, but doesn't know how, check out any forums, communities and networking sites that you can. There is a wealth of information and a lot of kind, helpful writers who are more than happy to promote your work along with theirs. Publishing is a crazy business, and we need to support each other to make it a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment