Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A New Plot

In between running Perfect Pen Communications, promoting Finding Lucas and taking care of my kids, I haven't had a lot of time to work on my next novel. But, I'm always thinking about it because I'm never happier than when I'm hunkered down with a new plot. But I can't decide if I want to revise an earlier novel or start fresh.

I always get my plot ideas in the strangest ways: overhearing a conversation on the street, a dream, a thought right before I go to to sleep. A plot that is now marinating came to me in a discussion with my next door neighbour over our shared fence.

I had been having trouble lately thinking of a new idea. Partly because I'm so busy with other things and partly because a lot of what's going on in my life is related to my kids. And though I do want to focus on a character who is a mom, I knew that she couldn't be me. My me novel, generally the first novel us writers create, has already been done and is languishing on a shelf somewhere. Finding Lucas is the first novel I've published but far from being the first novel I've written.

Now that I'm a published author, the desire to write has only grown, and I am excited to sit down and meet my new characters. And that is exactly what I'm going to do now.

Where do you get your plot ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment