Thursday, April 5, 2012

Self-Publishing is Scary

I'd always imagined my novel being published--I just never imagined doing it myself. And I am so happy I made the decision to do it. But, I never expected it to be terrifying. Of course, it is incredibly exciting and fun to see the culmination of years of hard work. But, knowing that in a very short time Finding Lucas will be out for everyone to read scares the hell out of me.
It's been read countless times by editors, and I have professionals taking care of the things I am not so good at so the product is as amazing as it can be. But, once I hit that button, and it goes live on Kindle, everyone and anyone can read my carefully crafted words.
The characters in Finding Lucas have become like friends to me and sharing them is daunting. What if there are errors? What if people don't like my book? What if they do?
Publishing Finding Lucas is akin to having a child. Taking care of the baby in utero, nurturing it with the best food and environment, giving birth, a painful and awesome experience, and raising that child in as loving and supportive a family as possible is much like the care and work I've put towards publishing.
The manuscript has been polished and perfected and all of the steps are in place to publish it. And like having a child, who needs to develop and grow towards ultimate independence, releasing my book into the ether requires me to let go and let it unfold as it may. Of course, I will do everything in my power to promote and market it and to give the novel the necessary guidance it needs to be a success. In the end, however, it will be up to my readers to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment