Saturday, March 31, 2012

Outsourcing is Essential for Self-Publishing

That old adage, "If I want something done right, I have to do it myself" does not always hold true when you're self-publishing. Though making all of the creative decisions and getting my novel, Finding Lucas, out there is all on me, one of the best things I've done is to outsource what I can.
As a professional writer and editor, I know how important it is to have someone else check my work. Editors are people, too, and we don't often see our mistakes until it's too late. Luckily, I have a team of extraordinary editors who have read and re-read this book many times. Though there may still be some errors, I am confident that the final product is the best it can be. This helps ease the fear of putting my novel out there.
The most important aspects of selling a novel are the cover design and blurb. Reader reviews are also crucial, but those will come when Finding Lucas is actually published. I have an amazing graphic designer who has created what I think is a kick ass cover, and I also have a computer expert converting my doc file to Mobi. I know that I could have done it myself, but the time it will take me to do it is better spent on self-promoting, which is a difficult but necessary adventure.
I have written press releases for clients, but just as I can't solely rely on self-editing, I also need to have someone else write my press release. I have hired a fellow freelance writer and publicity expert to put together a fabulous press release.
It's not cheap to outsource all of this work, and I may not recoup the costs. But, I look at self-publishing the same way I do my freelance business: everything has to be as perfect as it can be. Publishing Finding Lucas is a dream come true, and I am determined to do everything possible to make it a success. It's not easy for me to hand over the work, but I am fortunate to have found a group of wonderfully talented and supportive people to help me on this incredible journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment